Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Big Dog Day

Today's outing went well, though not entirely ideally. Keeper did good her first time in Duncan's old backpack. She's got some trouble with pulling into her collar if I ask her to pull into the harness and then drop the handle. It'll clear up with time I would not have taken her to the Garden Club meeting if I knew it was going to be 3+ hours long- luncheon, meeting, and workshop- and involve so many hand tools. Mom said it would be a good run as the Garden Club is "a quiet group." Not so much this time. We left on a good note and gave a positive impression, but that was more flooding than I'd like.
Photos after the cut.


The meeting and workshop


Cutting the reeds.



It didn't start out the best. The wind was up and the flagpole in front of the church was clanging and flapping away. Did a bit of perch work on the church's concrete sign, and Keeper loosened up.

Penny spotted us outside and tried to say Hi. Keeper took food from her, and sat for her, but did not want to be touched. Went into the church, did a little attention work, then let Keeper figure out what she wanted to do. Stress panting, but not overloaded, so I chose to stay.

When we held hands to make a circle while they prayed. Keeper chose to lay between me and the woman to my left. The club vice president asked how I wanted to handle my "guest", and I asked them to just ignore her. One of the older men tried kneeling and offering his hand shortly after. She sniffed, but didn't want to be pet. He did take the message and back off, but it was one of those times when I wanted to yell. Most everyone else did ignore her, and she relaxed.

Mom held Keeper's leash while I got my food, as I didn't trust her near the buffet table. I let her sprawl next to the table until she wasn't panting, then rewarded/lured her under the table. Even while she was out in the open, she wasn't fussy. A lady wandered through looking for a group meeting in a different room, and passed within a couple feet of Keeper without noticing the 100 pound fuzzbutt.

Laying next to the table.


Slightly stressed- ears back, panting- but hanging in.


The meeting was fairly involved. I'm club photographer, but I only remembered my iPod. I left her in a down-stay and went to get a shot with the light, not against it. At that time, the group applauded. Keeper got up and came looking for me. I'm glad she didn't run away, but we obviously need to get out more and proof stays better. Once I sat with her through a round of clapping, she was fine.

Keeper peeking out from under the table cloth. Not entirely sold on the space under the table.


Watching the lecture, rolled on her hip.


Bored with watching.


Flirting, hoping for cheese. Happy with her sassy ears here.


After the meeting was a brief lecture on "tube bees" as opposed to hive bees like Mason bees, then we got out handsaws and built bee houses from reeds. Keeper was a bit concerned by the handsaws, long reeds, and general shuffle, but recovered well enough to try eating a short bit of reed. I traded her for a bit of cheese, and we actually got in one nice pick up and hand it to me retrieve on a reed section from under the table. Handled a lady using a cane fine.

After the workshop was over, Penny, who's a dog person, messed with Keeper until the Burly Girlie was loving on her. Overall, a good run, if long.


Came home, swapped out dogs and Duncan got to ride along to the library. Not nearly 3+ hours, but an outing. He seemed very happy with it.

I'm not entirely wiped out, but I'm tired. Keeper's crashed out. I hope she continues to improve and accept the weirdness of public access.

No comments:

Post a Comment