Monday, January 12, 2015

IHOP writers' group

Usually we do a holiday get-together with my writers' group in December, but this year was a bit delayed because of work schedules. So we went to IHOP instead of the library tonight. Keeper was a bit confused, though she sat down as we waited for a table, then she tried to take me out the front doors. 

Head to the left of the table support. Close, but not ideal.
Head and shoulders to the right of the support post.
Much better.
Makes sense from her training. Go in, sit down, wait, leave. Changing it up to go in, sit, wait, go to a new location doesn't happen. She followed the group in, then tried to go in under a booth, not the tables we were at. Got her under the tables, sort of, let her get comfortable with the feet under the table, then set her in farther, so she was clear under. 

She was tucked completely under for the vast majority of the meal. It took a little bit, but she got to where I needed her to be. She's not like Duncan. Cramming herself into small spaces and draping over table supports doesn't seem to be second nature. Or maybe she just needs more experience. Time will tell. 

She did pretty well, though she did try to beg from Shannon a couple times. I may need to feed her before we go to restaurants.

One of the older guys in the writers' group finally realized Keeper is working for me. He seemed surprised I'm not training her to hand off to someone else. It's one of those weird in-between things. It's nice that I look competent, but it's also odd that when she's marked "SERVICE DOG" that he would assume she's in training.

Shortly before we left, the waitress sat people at the booth that had confused Keeper, about an arm's length from the table were Keeper and I were. As we got up and left, they were super surprised that a dog that big popped out from under the table.

What she looked like from the booth end of the table.

I think it may be my favorite 'magic trick' and hearing "I didn't know there was a dog there!" continues to amuse me.

Keeper led me out to the checkout counter, then tucked at the counter, and led on out as I answered a few questions (got another "Is that a Saint Bernard mix?"), and finally Keeper did a nice leadout to the car. It's really nice to have her be steady on her own after being confused earlier. She tries so very hard to be right, and do what I need.

She was extremely disappointed when we got home and her dinner wasn't ready and waiting for her like it usually is on writers' group nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment