Thursday, March 31, 2016

The day after

Tuesday the 29th, Keeper went with me to the local grocery store to grab medicine for Duncan. Then she got to practice being left home again as we ran him back to the ER. Yesterday, she had to deal with me being home but being shut out of my room, and then being locked in a crate as we took Duncan to the vet for the final time.
Last night, I needed to be out of a house that was too quiet, and too empty, so we went to work and she kept alerting to me forgetting to breathe. I made it 5 hours without crying about him, and she settled in on top my feet most the day.
Morning of March 31, I woke up from a nightmare that Duncan was dead to find that it was all too true, and the Burly Girly climbed up into bed and acted a goof to comfort me.
I don't know if she has any concept that Duncan's gone forever, or if she's waiting for him to show up again. After all, we took him out of the house on Sunday and I came back weepy, then we picked him up the next day. Maybe Keeper won't mourn him. I certainly do, and she's helping me with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment