Thursday, June 7, 2012

Puppy incoming

Duncan is retired from public work. I hate to write that, though he's been home-only for health reasons for months. He's still a wondermutt, and still learning new ways to be helpful. We're currently laying the foundation for automatic retrieval of a landline phone if he finds someone on the ground, or if I ask for the phone. There will be two new puppies in the household this summer. My dad is getting an English Setter from field champion lines (Tomoka and High Mark, so she'll be deeply into the Smith Kennel bloodlines.) I'm hoping to cross train her as a low blood sugar alert dog (Dad is diabetic, Mom's hypoglycemic). She'll be coming home some time after the 21st. I've got a deposit down on a German Shepherd litter. Hoping for a large male with moderate drives and a laid back attitude (which is very hard to find in the imported working bloodlines I've been looking at to get the body type I think is best for mobility work). They'll be three weeks old this Saturday. Had talked to the breeder before Duncan had issues with his health and needed to retire, but my plan to have a working public SD and a backup SDIT fell apart on me. I was in a wreck in September. My broken arm has healed, but I've still got after effects from a concussion. The new disabilities will likely shape the tasks the GSD will be taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment