Tuesday, October 23, 2012
In Transition
It's blog carnival time again.
Assistance Dog Blog Carnival: http://aftergadget.wordpress.com/about-the-assistance-dog-blog-carnival/
This round is hosted at:
http://learninbabysteps.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/call-for-submissions-for-the-ninth-assistance-dog-blog-carnival/
The theme this round is "Moments", and I've had a lot of them of late.
Duncan has mild but problematic neurological issues. He’s stable. At 6 years of age, he’s in the prime of his life, but he’s no longer able to do public access work. He has moments of distress and drooling, but they are blessedly few and far between.
Strider turned 5 months on the 19th. He’s a very good puppy, and he likes learning.
Because I live in the same house, visit the same places, and go to the same dog training club, Strider’s life with me overlaps Duncan’s life with me in many places. Often as not, the pattern of “command, dog’s name” comes out “go left, Du-Strider.” I'm not used to working with Strider, but we're getting there.
Moments can be like a knife in the heart- going to a store without a dog, relying on my family to play service human, remembering this spot, or that thing, and what Duncan did. Remembering how he backed up and sat down on my feet in an aisle at a thrift store too narrow for him to come back to brace position, because we’re asking the pups to come front then sit facing out. Or when Strider sits on my feet when I’m standing around at home, because he’s quick on the uptake.
Moments when Strider and I are at the training building, and he does something perfectly, and I say “Good boy, Dunc-” and catching myself to use his name. So many “good dogs” have been directed at Duncan, it’s hard to be giving the same attention to another dog.
Moments when I take Strider out for socialization runs, and have to shut the door in Duncan’s face because I can’t work them both hurt on a level I wasn’t expecting.
Moments when Strider does something well, or something so far ahead of the other puppies in class, I feel like we’re going to make it as a team.
Moments when I come home and they both greet me, or when they chase each other in the yard, or wrestle at my feet bring me joy.
Moments when they work together almost always make me laugh. Whether we’re playing “find me” and they split up to cover ground because they trust each other to cover part of the search, or if I put them out to potty and Duncan opens the door to let them back in while Strider rushes in to where I’m sleeping and wakes me up with kisses and wiggles so I’ll get up and make them breakfast and Duncan brings the pans.
Moments working Strider on new things keep me focused on how we're working together, where he looks back to check with me make me so proud. Today we went to a therapy session. His second run to this office. He’s figured out all the things that were strange and worrisome last time are harmless, and was confident, quiet, and friendly (not typical for my little Shepherd boy. He’s very polite, but not overt in approaching people.) We hit the bathrooms, his first public bathroom, and the automatic flush fascinated him, as did the automatic paper towel dispenser. Watching Strider’s reaction to these new things makes me aware of all the instants in a day where we do things we take for granted.
I am between public work dogs, and training the puppy is added work and stress in public. I am thankful I am not without a service dog in the home. For all the difficulties, work and worry, I find this transition is full of moments of joy.
I look forward to many more moments with my boys, both at home where Duncan can help me, and out in the world as Strider and I build a partnership one step at a time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Such a wonderful post. It's so tough to watch our partners age and then have to tell them they can no longer do a portion of their work. But, then it is so rewarding to watch them teach our younger partners about how things should go.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for contributing this post to the carnival. I was reminded many times of when I was in transition between my first service dog, Jersey, and my second, Gadget.
ReplyDeleteAnd this: "Watching Strider’s reaction to these new things makes me aware of all the instants in a day where we do things we take for granted." I remember that with Barnum -- like the first time I flushed a toilet near him and he jumped and then got up to stick his head in so he could see what was going on in there!
This was a lovely, thoughtful post. I hope to read more in the future!