Sunday, February 17, 2013

One month out

Duncan's up to 15 minute walks outside, and ten or 12 on the treadmill depending on when the head bob starts to happen. He can't compensate and walk in curves on the treadmill, so he uses his TPLOed knee more there, and it seems to tire him. He's had some morning stiffness, but he seems content with how his leg works. Of course, I'm still not sure how much of this is him over-using his right leg, so he's still restricted on many things.

I can see he's still losing muscle on his left thigh, so we haven't yet hit the point where he's using it enough to bulk up. I wish I knew more about standard times and how this should be going. I'm not too worried yet, and he seems to be using it more as the days go by.

Judging by the warnings that he wouldn't really start to use his leg until six weeks out, and he's been using it since a couple of days after the surgery, he's too stoic for me to trust I'll see when he's in pain. I think this means he's doing well, but again, I'm not sure.


Strider, having seen Duncan on the treadmill, wanted a turn. I've started leaving him in a different room, as he's so excited he bark/screams about his turn. I worry about my hearing with his big voice. His first time was a minute on leash, and he was all excited and happy. Second time, I let him do it off leash, and he was stomping the front engine compartment to make it go faster. He was on about a minute and a half, having a grand time. He's too young for this to be a large part of his exercise, but it's nice to know he has no fear of the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment