Saturday, May 4, 2013

ADBC #11: Resources and Tools

When I saw the call for the 11th Assistance Dog Blog Carnival, it was just days after returning Strider to his breeder, and didn't want to participate. After all, I'd failed, hadn't I? What could I offer?

It's been a little over a month since I handed Strider over, and while the grief and pain is still there, I'm starting to pull out of my deep blue funk, and realizing I still have something to offer. The call for posts was extended and I realized I have about six years worth of gear choices, and our experiences with each.

This ADBC's theme is Resources and Tools, and Frida Writes did a lovely job sorting the many things into usable topic lists: http://fridawrites.blogspot.com/2013/05/eleventh-assistance-dog-blog-carnival.html
Assistance Dog Blog Carnival button- purple dog silhouette.
I've done both a rescue dog and a puppy from a reputable breeder. So I guess I should mention both as great resources for finding the right dog, though shelters only work if you're able to pass on a cute puppy or a sad, lonely adult and keep looking for the right dog for you, and responsible breeders only work if they know your limits and strengths as well as they know their dogs and pups. If you're not able to pass on the cute or the pity, I'd suggest finding a program or trainer to select and train the dog and place it with you.

I hadn't realized what a wonderful resource a good, knowledgeable breeder could be, and still chat with Strider's breeder, and enjoy watching her blog. Knowing that there was the safety net, in case things didn't work out, was helpful as well. As it became more and more clear Strider and I couldn't work together in public because I'd underestimated my disability and reactions after a second car crash, knowing his breeder was there for him was a huge relief. I didn't have to worry about finding him a good home, or how I would care for him, and Duncan, and a SDIT. I continue to wish I wasn't as disabled as I am, and that I was able to keep Strider, but knowing his breeder was there for him has helped tremendously.

Duncan at the shelter meet and greet room.
My dogs are intended to be mobility dogs first and foremost. Most of their gear, tasks, and grooming is meant to work around or with my limits. No super long haired dogs, or I'll bust out the horse clippers.

In the beginning, I started Duncan in a simple carting harness I found at the local Dressler's Dog Supplies (sadly, since closed). Just something to get him used to wearing a harness. His exposure in public was going well, so I ordered a SDIT cape from someone I met through an online forum, who sold things on ebay. I had seen the vests at SitStay.com, but didn't like the looks of them, and I wanted to buy one and adjust it for his growth. I have heard many good things about SitStay.com and RaspberryField.com vests. I prefer the way his SDIT vest came out, and it's adjustable, so it worked for Strider and will work for the next SDIT.
Duncan stands in front of an oak dresser wearing a light blue vest with patches.
It was a shock when Duncan started to blow coat. I'd had double coated dogs (field line English Setters) before. None of them had as much undercoat as this stock coated mutt. You could try to part his hair, and not have a clear look at his skin.
Brown dog with lighter brown line of hair in the "part".
I tried a number of tools, before settling on a Furminator. The amount of hair that came off amazed me. We're in the middle of a blowout now, and I'm still amazed. But now I can see skin, and he's better ready for summer.
Brown dog with pale line of skin in the part.
We went on working, and Duncan kept doing better. We moved from the SDIT vest to a quick-release Outward Hound backpack (http://www.amazon.com/Kyjen-Outward-Hound-Release-BackPack/dp/B003MU9OFM) with patches I made, and a spare leather collar to see if having him do momentum pull would help me before I committed to the purchase price of a harness. It helped me a great deal, so when Duncan passed his OFA evaluations, and I went looking for a harness. 

I found Bridgeport Equipment (https://www.bridgeportequipment.com/), and got the double strap mobility harness on someone's recommendation. He was very fond of working, so he never ducked the harness in the years we used it. It did rub his chest bare, occasionally, so I would go on to pad the straps for him, and the rigid handle got layer after layer of padding trying to make it not hurt my hands.

The Bridgeport harness, perhaps the day I got it? Not a ding, and no padding added.

The Outward Hound backpack over the Bridgeport. I swear the best thing about the backpack was room for big patches.

Duncan's favorite resources would be BestBullySticks.com where I get him chews like tendons, bully sticks, and antler burrs for the times when I'm writing or reading or sick and unable to do more active things. For those days when I am more active, Duncan turns into Mr. Fetch. Air Kong and hunting bumpers (a tube shaped toy on a string) are his favorites, and the picture below shows how much use we get out of them. I picked these up at Dressler's, but the Kong, at least, can be found at Petsmart/Petco. These toys float, so they're also good for lake days.
Four bumpers- an old, nasty looking Air Kong where the cord has ripped out, a shiny new Kong, a bright new orange bumper, and a faded grey-with-a-rip-in-the-cover old bumper.
Other great toys for active dogs with inactive handlers who may have varying hand strength or mobility include things like the Chuckit http://www.chuckit.com/, and the HyperDog slingshot http://www.hyper-products.com/products.html I got a lot more use out of the slingshot, as Duncan's not terribly interested in balls, but flying squeaky toys kept him busy for a long time.

Kiddie pools from Walmart were also a wonderful thing in summer. They kept him entertained, they amused me, and they kept him from overheating.

Duncan creates and bites at a splash in a 5ft kiddie pool.
I would eventually give up on a rigid handle harness. I didn't want to fall and torque Duncan's back, and I needed momentum pull, not brace work while moving. I decided to try the PawPower Creations Sport Style harness (http://www.livingblind.com/guide-dog-harness.html) with a number of me and Duncan specific changes. I had them move the contact points forward and down, use metal hardware of a sort I could manage instead of squeeze snaps I couldn't always open, and made sure the shoulder pieces were long enough that the front of the harness was over his prosterum. He's built a little weird, and his prosternum is only slightly higher than the point of his elbow.


The first time I had the harness on, and had the girth strap too far  forward. His body language is much better than in the Bridgeport.
And the ActiveDogs.com neoprene bridge handle. So soft to use.
It worked beautifully with the Outward Hound backpack.
He loved the PawPower from the first time he had it on. I loved the handle I bought from ActiveDogs.com (http://www.activedogs.com/product.php?id=98) It has been squishy and lovely to work with since it arrived. ActiveDogs has a number of other pieces of gear, including harnesses.

For Strider, I wanted a harness to hold him in the car until he learned to settle on his own. I found the Kurgo (http://www.kurgostore.com/dog-travel/enhanced-strength-tru-fit-smart-harness-with-steel-nesting-buckles/) and it had buckles I could use. It also adjusted to fit Duncan, though their body types are very different.

Strider (bicolor GSD) in the backseat wearing the Kurgo Harness.

While researching and going for the PawPower, I came across many other designs of mobility harness. 

The Freedom Harness only comes in one size, and has had supply troubles, but those that use it, usually like it a lot. I couldn't find a link, apparently there's a new no-pull harness with the same name.

The Classi Pack is a similarly built harness http://www.classiproducts.com/products.html and still looks to be available.

The Har-Vest is a vest/pack that comes with easily exchangeable and replaceable straps to custom fit the gear http://www.abetterpet.com/har-vest/

For heavy mobility needs, there are Circle-E http://circleeleather.com/Service_Dog_Harnesses.html and Bold Lead Designs http://boldleaddesigns.com/products-overview/

There's also a number of gear exchanges on Facebook and through forums. Duncan's old Bridgeport moved on to someone I'd met through Livejournal who was not sure if a Bridgeport would work for her, who then bought a tan one because she liked the color better, and moved the brown harness on to a third SD home. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/374855945939732/?fref=ts is a gear exchange friends of mine use).

Note: I paid for all my gear, and have not been compensated for any of the products or websites I talk about/link to in this post.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you went through this with Strider. Others may be in the same situation someday and will find comfort in your shared experience.

    The backpacks and vests are cool--the Har-Vest is definitely one to check out. Well, they all are--I'm an equipment hound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Frida. I'm sorry I had to give up Strider, even if it was for the best, but I'm not sorry he was in my life.

    I'm also perpetually looking for better fitting, better working gear. The market does seem to be expanding, which means there's always more stuff to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Flo.

    Here's a very belated thank you for participating in the Carnival and posting about such a variety of useful resources! I really liked being able to see the pictures of the different pieces of equipment in use.

    Giving up Strider sounds so painful. I imagine you're still feeling the loss and pain that went with making such a hard decision.

    I love the huge service dog patches on the blue backpack. Did you make those or did you buy them? I saw a reference to them but didn't see where you got them. Would you be willing to point me to that info if I missed it?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon,

    I made the patches from an old pair of pants, a stencil and white acrylic paint. I still have the stencil. Even that big, they don't keep everyone away, but I did notice a huge drop from a 4 inch long patch to the "read them from across the room" size.

    You might check for custom embroidery on ebay or from local shops.

    Giving up on Strider as a SDIT was hard. He's doing well, his breeder is keeping me updated, and that helps.

    ReplyDelete