Sunday, October 6, 2013

Online dog classes, update

I've started Shaping and Hearing Dog Training at fenzidogsportsacademy.com with both big dogs. Duncan's whipping through things, based on prior training. Keeper's doing well, and we're learning to communicate with each other. She's totally in it for the food, or the love.

She's more solid on tracking the sound to find the food than Duncan. He's defaulting to bringing me the timer that is our sound source. They're about equal on indications to the sound, but it's very, very early days- class started last Tuesday.

Shaping class presents a challenge: she knows I have food, and doesn't want to work away from the food source. She's also still easily frustrated and will make a grab for the food ("just give it to me!") but then she thinks and we get things done.

She's got an ear infection, but did better at the vet this round than she has before. She's still a little spooky (I must remember to take her there for more than shots and unpleasantness), but spray cheese overcomes a lot of distrust.

She's 96.5# as of Saturday, and has a new Lupine step in harness that doesn't bother her at all.

She's gone to Petsmart. It was a rough start- I didn't set it up well- but she adjusted. Her biggest hangup was trying to go play with the cats in the adoption room. I think she misses felines.

She's been going with me to the shrink, and knows the way back to the office. She lead the way, the last time. It's finally cooling down to where I hope I'll be able to sit out and let her watch people go by at the local strip mall.

She tore up a library book. Not the sort of $12 dog toy I want to buy. She had to pull it off a shelf, so I'm choosing to view it as an indication that she can do scent work- that was the last book on the shelf that I touched.

I'm dreading her winter coat, but we'll make do.

No comments:

Post a Comment