Duncan, who retired as my mobility dog December 2012 (he broke a toe, then blew a knee in January 2013 as he was coming off crate rest for the toe), has been jealous of my working Keeper (SDIT). He's only 7, so I hope to have him around many more years. He's been volunteering as a "house elf" for my mom on the days when her familial tremors cause her to drop things, and will pick up anything he finds on the floor and turn it in for treats to anyone in the house. Keeps the younger dogs from eating paper towels or the cellophane off my parents' cigarette cases and keeps him engaged. He's also happy to help with laundry or taking things out to recycling.
Friday night, he noticed that my very pregnant cousin (due early Feb.) was a little short of breath, so he went to her, escorted her out of the bathroom to the couch, then did a paws up on her lap (his "stay there!" alert- I'm stubborn, he had to physically hold me sometimes.) She was surprised and I had to explain why the front half of a 90 pound dog was pressing her thighs into the couch. She laughed and agreed with his assessment. Once she caught her breath, he hopped off. She invited him up on the couch next to her, and he settled his head in her lap, wagging and keeping watch for the rest of her visit.
I know he's unhappy with retiring, but the grin on his face when he was "working" again broke my heart in a good way. I know I made the right choice to retire him to home-only. I'll find him occasionally leaning on a wall to take weight off his left side (the front toe and knee are both on his left), and he's not as active, so I think the knee or other arthritis still bothers him.
Sometimes, though, he's still a damn good service dog.
No comments:
Post a Comment