Thursday, May 1, 2014

April, the month of vet bills

April 1st, Duncan had his top right P4 molar out. He'd broken it once, but it didn't seem to bother him. Then he broke it again, and the nerve was exposed. He's Mr. Stoic. I only went looking in his mouth when he stopped in the middle of chewing on a bully stick. I don't know how long it would have been causing him pain if I hadn't seen that slight hesitation before he switched sides and resumed chewing.

I do know it couldn't have been broken long because we'd just been in for a recent wellness check (also known as "I point out all the small bumps I've noticed, and my vet says to wait and see what they do." paranoia-quelling.)

When the vet went to work on it, the tooth shattered. The vet spent an hour and forty five minutes working on it. There were 14 pieces in the baggie they sent home, and she only got one tooth root. So we'll keep an eye on him and hope the remaining two don't become infected or abscess. He seems much happier with it out, and has been playing more. The vet also showed me the other P4 she'd removed that day- split neatly down the middle, with all three roots still attached. April Fool's on me, Dunc, and Dr. Green.

April 9th, I noticed some discharge from Keeper's vulva just before bedtime. Her temperature was still normal, so I didn't race for the ER, though my mind did skip almost directly to pyometra. Saw the vet the next day, and after a anxiety-inducing high temperature and a wait on bloodwork, it turns out she had vaginitis and a couple small abscesses on her vulva. Antibiotics for that didn't quite kill it off first round, so we added another. She got an overlap on that second round with her meds from the spay and stomach tack I had them do on April 21st. The infection does look to be cleared up.

She's off her meds, and doing great. She is itchy (more over the shaved area than the line of 52 staples), so the ComfyCone stays on or she starts licking. Her nickname is the Bulldozer of Love. I went with the soft collar and call it "refusing to get her a shovel attachment. I was worried she'd hurt Ocho with a hard plastic cone. She had one time after one meal where she looked back at her side. I can only assume the stomach tack was pulling. She also threw one tantrum about the cone, but otherwise she's been bright and happy.

She's outgrown the size range for heartworm medication, which is a first. I'd have to buy her two sizes to get proper coverage. Never had this problem before.

Really hoping that aside from OFA x-rays, I can get a few months without a vet bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment