This last year with Keeper has been one of many firsts- first time giving a presentation on flower drying, first time she'd been with me for a presentation and a workshop, first job interview, first new job, first Rally show, first museum, first living history farm, on and on.
There's a saying in the horse training world that what any green horse needs to become a good horse is a lot of wet saddle blankets. Translated, that means taking a critter from "sort of knows it at home" to "does things when you need them done" is to put in the hours and the miles. Well, 2015 was putting in the hours and the miles. She's becoming a very nice working partner. She's not my ideal, because I want a dog with more "let's DO THINGS!" get up and go, and Keeper's very content to take naps... but when I've been sick, as I've been sick the last couple of weeks, it's nice to know I don't have to push myself to do things, that she's content to hold down her part of the bed and wait for me to be interesting again.
We've done our second interview together- I'm hoping to go full time where I am now- and she gave me such a look when it was over. Apparently, if I was just smart enough not to go into that room, I wouldn't be scared and she wouldn't be concerned on my behalf. She's growing up to have Opinions, and has a disapproving school marm face that makes me grin every time I see it.
Ocho, the oldest of our English Setters, passed on Nov. 30, 2015. He was a sweetheart, and he'll be missed, but it was time. He went peacefully, surrounded by the people who saw him come into this world, at the place where everyone gave him cookies.
Duncan's been licking his right front leg a little more than normal, so he goes in for an old man exam and probably x-rays tomorrow morning. Since he walked around on a broken toe without limping, I'm a bit nervous as to what might be going on, though at nine and a half-ish, I'm hoping it's just arthritis. He's still happy and tries to wrestle with Keeper in the yard and plays bitey-face in the house.
Twist has a histocytoma on her belly, about an inch behind where her thighs meet her belly. That's not such a worry, but she's tried to pull the thing off, so she's wearing shorts or a cone collar. She is not amused.
Sunny continues to be crazy.
It's looking like it will be an interesting year with the garden club, with a number of tours I hope I can make, and a flower show. I've also started another 365 project, so I'll hopefully be posting more here. It's a hard habit to build, but I'm trying.
No comments:
Post a Comment