Monday, August 15, 2016

Weekend recap

Accidentally terrifying people, 8/13/16 and 8/14/16 editions:
Wasn't thinking about it as I walked into a conference room full of people to grab a cart from the previous group's set up. Gasps from a few, and of course (of *course*) the woman standing closest to the cart was the one who stumbled backward in fear. Dangit.

Today after work, I stopped to get more bleach developer for my hair. Had a worker come toward where I was standing to help, stop dead, and say something about "big dog." It's three doors down from a pet store, so I said "she's my service dog," thinking that was the hold up. Nope, she's so scared of dogs she can't move closer. She was able to direct me to exactly what I needed, and then asked "Is that a Beethoven dog?" Told her about Berners vs Saint Bernards, and she commented on how calm Keeper is. I think that's one of the people who would, over time, get used to the burly girly. We have a couple patrons at the library that went from being scared spitless of her to saying she's their favorite dog. Still feel bad for scaring her. May write a letter or call to compliment her on providing great service while scared of Keeper.

Saturday was a slower day at work. I went to Cabela's to get a backpack for WorldCon. So many people! I keep forgetting it's back to school insanity everywhere. Keeper did really good, lovely pull into the harness through the crowd. She had a stutter-step and a "what the?!" as we passed some grills with side wings. Nose up, peered at it, then shrugged it off and went forward/under them. That pause of "why is this here?" was her only pause. (Also, I continue to wonder if she's slightly cross-eyed, or just has poor vision in close because of the "what is this?" faces she makes about some things.) Still not perfect in line, but getting better the more we do it. She'd be better if I didn't actively avoid lines as much as I possibly can.... Skills I don't want to practice.

Sunday was a busier day- end of summer panic as high schoolers realize school is coming, and they have yet to read their assigned books. Ran to get a variety of items, and Keeper seemed to enjoy the runs to get things. There was one "but I'm napping..." pause. Must have been a good dream. Once she was on her feet, she did good work.

After work, we went to the beauty store and had that encounter. The look on her face as I opened the car door was pretty good. She was obviously looking forward to going home. Still good work, just a "reeally? fiiiine." before she hopped out.

It ought to be fun to see what she thinks of day after day of a convention if she's sure it's time to go home, and disappointed that we stopped elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment