Sunday, July 28, 2013

Keeper, Day 2

No idea how long I'll keep up the daily posts, but we'll see.

Just after midnight, she whined. I turned on the light, saw her sitting on the dog bed, and told her that I wasn't in the mood for a midnight potty run. Her response? That sad, lips back "smile" and a *gurk* that means vomiting is about to commence.

I fairly levitated out of bed to try to rush her past all the carpeted places to the back door. She paused about halfway there, diverting to puke on the hardwood, then did the rest out in the yard. Cleanup was surprisingly easy.

She wasn't too interested in breakfast, so I don't know if the new food, new water, or a stray bit of post-nasal drip got her. Gave her some pro-biotics, in case it was something they would fix. She's showing more interest in food (and playing with Sunny) as the day goes on, so I hope whatever it was is a passing problem. The food we've got her on now has a little less fat and a touch more protein than the Kirkland they were feeding, so her system should adjust soon, if that was the cause.

Donna from garden club came over to do some paperwork with us. I had stepped out into the garage to put out some recycling (Duncan was carrying the cardboard for me) and Keeper bulldozed her way through the door before it latched. Things Setters can't do that a BMD can do, lesson #1. The garage door was open about 12 or 18 inches, but I didn't think it was a problem... until I heard her tail hit the metal. Would not have thought she'd shimmy out like that....

Called her, stuffing things in bags as fast as I could. She came back and looked under the door like "Hi, why ya still in there?" Then I heard Donna's car on the driveway, and Keeper was gone. I hit the door open button, and Duncan joined the welcome wagon. Donna was very, very glad the large, strange dog was friendly. I didn't mean to spring mondo puppy on her like that. People hear "puppy" and don't think 24 inch fluffball.

Got the big dogs to head back inside, and then Twist came, bounced around and stuck her nose where it doesn't belong. The 10 month old has better manners than Dad's 3 year old. *sigh*

We got paperwork done, and Donna loved on lunker puppy for a while. Keeper, of course, thought this "go say hi" stuff was wonderful.

The new ceiling fan went up, and she's been fine with the ladder, mildly curious about a person standing on the ladder, fine with the fixture being carried around and the drill sounds.

I had hoped to get her to the strip mall this evening, but interrupted sleep means I'm tired and a little sore and not so interested in going out myself.

She and Duncan are sharing everything but my bed (I refuse to have that much dog in a twin, so I have scolded Keeper any time she puts a paw up.) She even crawled up with him on my loveseat last night. He wasn't too fond of it, but he let her, and they seem to be taking turns cycling from dog bed to loveseat to carpeted floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment