Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Meet-n-Greet

I got a call from a Bernese Mountain Dog breeder (Networking recap: Lady in Garden Club saw my obedience jumps for Duncan, we talked dogs, she had Shelties, she knew a man with a Sheltie and a BMD, I called him, the breed and breeder sounded like a great fit, so I emailed and filled out a questionnaire some weeks back). Cue some of the most frustrating minutes of my life as our land line to land line connection kept breaking up and cutting off as she was describing her dogs.


She talked about two dogs, Watcher http://lionheartbernese.com/Watchers_page.html and Kiara http://lionheartbernese.com/Kiaras_page.html. Watcher's already got his championship, but he lacks a little confidence. When he's unsure he hides behind her legs. If I didn't have my issues, I'd be willing to take him on, but given my issues, it didn't sound like a good fit, so I didn't pursue him.

Kiara, on the other hand, is a confident, smart, people oriented girl. Went and saw her this morning. Friendly, sweet, a little smaller than Duncan (and she's only 10 months old at this point), likes to play with/herd the cat, but seems aware enough of her own size not to harm small things. Hung out for about an hour, watching her interact with a cat, two kittens, a pink cockatoo, a preteen, a teen, and a couple of people walking into the business to pick up their dogs.


About the only thing I can think of to say against her is she's not a fetch head, and she's fluffy. I don't think I'll ever be fond of Berner coat fluff, but if that's my biggest hangup, that's hardly an issue.


Plan is to sign the contract and a check and bring her home on Friday. I don't want to bring her home only to leave for work the next morning. So, Friday afternoon. 3 days. OMG.


I desperately need to clean my room. We don't have a crate big enough for her, so she'll be in a tall x-pen.


I hope, hope, hope this works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment