Thursday, December 4, 2014

What Duncan's been up to.

Duncan's been reverting to bad behaviors. Not because he's a bad dog, but because he's a fairly drivey dog. He likes to have a job, and he likes to learn things.

With my focus on Keeper, and the two of us girls going out, he's been mostly adjusting to being a retiree in the lap of luxury (he gets my bed, and the orthopedic foam dog bed, and the regular foam pad in the big crate AND the loveseat in my room all to himself when Keeper and I go out, after all.) However, Duncan's the dog who ended up in the shelter because he was bored and needed a job.

So, as the training with Keeper becomes less of a thing I need to focus on, and more a thing that's just part of what we do together, the more I'm trying to keep Duncan's brain properly worked and his body from falling apart. It's a big part of why we're shaping a "wrap" and will soon be starting scent work from the Obedience Skillbuilding class.

He may be going gray, and having achy days when the weather changes, but he's still got a wicked smart mind, that he will turn to amusing himself if I don't keep up with his needs. As the games he plays by himself are things like "steal the food off the counter when no one is looking" and "excavate the yard for rocks to bring inside and line up on the carpet", not games the humans enjoy, I need to step up my training time with him.

Who knows, maybe 2015 we'll see if he can pick up a Trick Dog Championship. I think we have everything but a chained behavior trick, and maybe I can save up for the entry fees. I'm sure he'll like doing the prep work and testing, and having to check things off will keep me honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment