Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Breeders

(This post is part of the April A to Z blogging challenge.)

I feel a little odd talking about breeders, because of the propaganda about shelter animals. So, first, let me say if you're looking for a loving companion who won't have any specific job, a dog for any of a number of fun but not necessarily skilled things that we love to do with our pets, please consider a shelter animal. There's some very nice dogs given up and waiting in shelters. After all, that's where I found Duncan. (but finding a physically and mentally sound dog to be a SD first time out of the box is getting struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark levels of luck.)

A good breeder is going to take a lot of the pressure and uncertainty out of the equation, assuming you've presented yourself and your goals accurately. If you have a particular job in mind, I would strongly recommend a breeder who breeds dogs already doing the job you're interested in. It's not a guarantee, but with the right breeder and bloodlines, it can be a head start.

One of the main reasons to go with a breeder is the health of their dogs, and the "known quantity" factor. We stereotype breeds (Labs love people and tennis balls, Poodles are prissy but smart, Dobermans will bite you if you try to hurt their people, Bassets are wrinkly couch potatoes) because people have agreed that is what that breed IS, and they select for those traits.

There are health issues common to most breeds of a certain type or size, and a breeder with 5 generations of breeding stock that's health tested and selected to have good joints, good eyes, etc. is probably producing healthier puppies than the Fence Jumper Special or "My Breed X male has his balls, and your Breed X bitch has a working uterus, let's make puppies!" litters. With some genetic tests, some issues can be eliminated.

A dog from a long line of dogs meant to be well built for the show ring, or to do a job, is probably a dog with a strong inclination to be well suited to the job, or pretty to look at. A good breeder will tell you if you're a bad match to their dogs, or to their breed, and save you some heartache (if your self-assessment is honest and correct.)

Strider's breeder remains very close to my ideal. She has goals in mind for type, temperament, working ability, and handler attitude. She's very open about her process on her Facebook page, and I learn a bit from every litter she breeds. I am, however, currently (and perhaps ongoing) a bad match for her dogs. The native protectiveness that is proper in a GSD is a bad match to mood issues I developed after I contacted her. When Strider and I failed as a team, she was one of the people to suggest Berners.

Keeper's breeder looks more to type than to working ability or temperament, though she's very keen to have nice, well-rounded dogs, her goal is the breed show ring. That's not a bad thing, it's just where her focus lies. I wouldn't have Keeper if this breeder was deeply involved in herding, carting, or obedience, because Keeper's attitude and temperament lend themselves well to that sort of close-to-the-handler work I need.

I knew what I was getting into, in the general sense, with each of the breeds. I was wrong in my self-assessment for Shepherds, but I still love their brains, work ethic, and athleticism. Berners match me better for who I am now, but I do miss that extra bit of push to do more that Strider had. Keeper's not lazy, she's just laid back. Strider and Duncan are both "that was nice, what next?" sorts of dogs that need to be kept busy. Keeper's content to play bear rug. Having met several generations of Strider's bloodline, and seen a number of Berners in person, I can say that both Keeper and Strider are good representatives of their breed.

I really respect the care and selection, heart and hard work that the breeders have put into their dogs. I still remember the litters of English Setters my parents bred in 1991 and 2001. It's a lot of hard work and expense to do it right.

If you're looking for a breeder, I would recommend checking with people who have dogs who do what you want to do with your dog, or the breed club, or local dog people who are active in the things you want to do, even if they don't have the breed you want, they may know someone who does. Once you contact a breeder, ask questions. There's whole lists of them you can find online now. If the responses you get doesn't feel right, walk away. Expect to be asked questions. The breeder's looking to place a dog for life, and in the best home.

Breeders aren't the best option for everyone, but I'm glad for them, and for the wonderful dogs they've brought into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment