Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Miniature Horses

(This post is part of the April A to Z blogging challenge.)

Miniature horses are the exception to the wording of the ADA that a "service animal" is in fact, a dog. In the time before the revisions to the ADA, there were service monkeys, service pythons, service parrots, service goats and more.

While I do feel that individuals of most domesticated species could be useful as a service animal, I'm still not sure how a python could be trained to do... anything. Thus, I think the exception for minis is interesting.

There are handlers with dog allergies, dog phobias, or religious constraints on being around dogs. Minis give them an alternative. I do think that the challenge of owner-training a service dog is likely magnified by the change in species. There are a LOT of dog trainers. There aren't that many mini trainers, and very, very few that can train the tasks necessary.

Having worked with my uncle's miniature donkeys, if I ever can't use a dog, I'll probably owner-train mini donkeys. They tend not to spook the same as horses and ponies (I haven't been around enough mini horses to know for sure if they have the same flight response, but I would assume so.)

The pros for minis are their longevity- some live 40 years, and expecting 20 or 30 is expected. They aren't dogs, which means people with allergies or other issues can use them. For a person needing a "walker" sort of animal, minis are going to be a better height/weight match for people needing heavy mobility support.

The cons are numerous (honestly, so are the cons for dogs). Horses sweat all over. It's hard, if not impossible, to house train (there's bags that go under their tails- similar ones can be required in Japan for dogs). Housing a mini takes space, and they need to eat frequently to prevent ulcers. Fitting a mini under a table or into a car is problematic, as is travel or staying in a hotel.

They are, however, an alternative covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

No comments:

Post a Comment