Thursday, April 17, 2014

Obedience

(This post is part of the April A to Z blogging challenge.)

I'm one of those overly competitive types. I like seeing how my training stacks up against other people's work. I didn't used to be terribly interested in shows or competition. Then Duncan and I began taking classes. He did well and I had fun.

We started in rally, where the signs told you what to do. We earned a title in a weekend and I was hooked. For a while there wasn't much else to do, as Duncan is a mutt. I had looked into mixed breed obedience titles, and UKC was well out of the way. Then the AKC opened events to mixed breeds and we got started there.

In the Intelligent Disobedience post, I talked about our failure leg. It was the only leg where he didn't earn a qualifying score. However, I began to notice that he didn't like playing the game. He'd do it, and score well, but he didn't like show grounds. It was little things- eyes dilated, ears back, lip licks. He never ran from the work. I guess the sounds were too much like the shelter.

It got to the point that I was leaving him in the car until the dog before us went into the ring, then running to grab him and tossing him in the ring cold, so that we'd be done with the run and out of the ring before his pupils dilated and the stress panting began.

I wanted to do more, but I had a dog who didn't like the ring. He did well in class, he did well at home, he was doing the service dog thing in public. He performed well, despite his stress. His last leg in the ring he did perfectly, I was the one who missed a station. That he kept trying for me says just about all there is to say about Duncan. He tries his heart out for me.

To be fair to him, I quit trialing. We still play some, but it isn't something we're going to go after.

I have hopes that Keeper, raised as a show dog, will enjoy the ring. I'd like to put titles on her, because I enjoyed showing Duncan. Maybe she'll like playing the game with me. I can hope, and train. I still want to do the obedience ring work, and I want to have a happy partner, not one who’s doing something they don’t like because I asked. As gratifying as it is to know he’d do the things that scare him for me, it wasn’t fair for me to chase ribbons when he was having troubles.

I do wonder, now, if there might have been indications that his CCL was starting to go, if it was the long car rides to get places that set up his dislike of the ring… or if it really was just that a concrete building full of dogs is going to bother Duncan for the rest of his life. Either way, he earned the first titles I ever put on a dog, and has his handful of ribbons from our short time in the ring.


He even made the AKC newsletter, as we went out early in the mutts-are-welcome program, and there was a photographer at our show. I’m proud of him, for so much more than the ribbons and the brief obedience campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment