Thursday, February 25, 2016

*grumble*

Some days I seriously wonder if the people at the library have ever seen dogs be anything but pets. The number of *gasp* "AWWWW!" reactions was ridiculous. The lady sitting at a table sticking her hand out and calling to Keeper as we went by... She was almost close enough for me to low five. If Keeper had gone to the person calling her, she would have crossed in front of me, and then I would have faceplanted.

Bad enough they act like we're a traveling zoo exhibit, but then they unthinkingly, casually put me in jeopardy because they saw something they wanted and thought not one iota more. No thought as to why the dog is in a place where they don't usually see dogs, no impulse control on their part. Not even asking me if the dog is friendly or if they can pet the dog. (This is why I don't say things to people, because it would be a multi-minute tirade. They wouldn't learn anything other I'm angry, and I wouldn't feel any better.)

Keeper, for her part, ignored the people, other than to give the lady who stuck her hand out a "HELL no! Can't fool me!" look. In her mind there is to be NO touching while working- which is how Keeper has interpreted several thousand "leave it" cues, not my actual rule. My rule is the human has to be aware enough to ask me before making any move toward the dog, or any loud exclamation- I want to reward the polite people.

Keeper, however, is not on board with this plan. She works, no one touches her. People get invited to our house, she tries to be a Bernerful lap-puppy. My wake-up call this morning was a Berner elbow to the sternum as she tried to snuggle, so I can tell you Berner-as-blanket is not always a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment